PDA

View Full Version : Users PM's and IP addresses

11-30-2006, 11:27 PM
I just think I need to confirm that no one, who ever they think they are or how 'clever' they are cannot read other users PM's or IP addresses, moderators can view IP's for security with reregistering banned users and people posting under dual registrations. Moderators cannot view users PM's on this forum. Any implication by any user that they can is how you'd describe in the US as Hogwash and will be seen as conspiring to create flames amongst users. Anyone suggesting this will be removed swiftly.

Thanks

Checksumm

turborabbit
12-03-2006, 09:36 AM
I just think I need to confirm that no one, who ever they think they are or how 'clever' they are cannot read other users PM's or IP addresses, moderators can view IP's for security with reregistering banned users and people posting under dual registrations. Moderators cannot view users PM's on this forum. Any implication by any user that they can is how you'd describe in the US as Hogwash and will be seen as conspiring to create flames amongst users. Anyone suggesting this will be removed swiftly.

Thanks

Checksumm

Somewhere there was an announcement made by John@DNA which was about cracked winols saying that everything is being monitored and any illegal stuff will be reported to EVC. (Where's that topic btw, can't find it and search returns all topics disregarding what keywords I enter.)
So now you state here that PM's are not monitored and everyone can do everything by PM?
Please confirm.

Moderators cannot view users PM's on this forum.
====
Correct. If there's no plugin.
But admin or whoever has access to mysql can. Or I am wrong and you are encrypting the contents using some cryptography before writing to the sql? :)

Chipped UK LTD
12-03-2006, 11:41 AM
It is 100% possible to view ALL i.p`s logged too a site unless through a bouncer or shell.

CTW John
12-03-2006, 03:21 PM
There was a rumour I heard that someone was bragging they could read all IP's and pm's on the forum. This is not the case for a regular user, the moderator stated that moderators cannot read pm's which is clear and specific, he didn't say anything about admin though did he, I think that was more than clear.

Chipped UK LTD
12-03-2006, 03:24 PM
I think too many people round here spend too much time telling tales to each other.

Its a forum, all pm`s can be seen, all i.p`s (as above, unless hidden by a shell or bouncer or maybe even telnet direct) can be seen.

Ok, so its not easy for the average bloke but dont for one second think its not posible.

CTW John
12-03-2006, 03:27 PM
You can read other peoples pm's?

Chipped UK LTD
12-03-2006, 03:30 PM
Im not that skilled.
What i am saying is that it is possible.

thanos
12-03-2006, 03:36 PM
Ofcourse it is possible as turborabbit said.An encrypted portion would require more cpu load and it is not commonly used in forums.

CTW John
12-03-2006, 03:37 PM
without the password to the database you cannot access it.

Chipped UK LTD
12-03-2006, 03:41 PM
Your thinking in a logical way John, life isnt always like this though.

CTW John
12-03-2006, 03:46 PM
User and access passwords are stored encrypted, access and grant user access rights are setup to prevent access by unauthorised users, nothings impossible but it is alot less possible than is implied here.

Chipped UK LTD
12-03-2006, 03:56 PM
I didnt see anyone say it was easy or imply likewise.
Its hard, only someone who knows the workings of shells and likewise would know really.
Bit like the old winbeta days of forum hacks etc etc.

CTW John
12-03-2006, 04:07 PM
I didnt see anyone say it was easy or imply likewise.
Its hard, only someone who knows the workings of shells and likewise would know really.
Bit like the old winbeta days of forum hacks etc etc.

Yes but like you say the old days, things have moved on a fair bit fortunately

imported_admin
12-03-2006, 06:42 PM
Nothing is impossible, and hackers can get access to that if they spend some time.

I as forum admin with access to the database do not have access to users pms. Even if I had access I have no intention of reading user's PMs. Well the pm's text is on the database and it's readable, but It's not easy to get one user's pm.

So if you can do what you can with pms? well being private messages, yes.

But what's the point? This forum is like every other foruns.

Pits
12-03-2006, 08:28 PM
What's the purpose of this post?

CTW John
12-03-2006, 08:31 PM
It's an announcement about users reading other pm's, apparently someone had suggested to another user they could read there pm's with out them knowing, although not impossible it was just to reassure users of the security of the forum.

turborabbit
12-03-2006, 11:18 PM
It's an announcement about users reading other pm's, apparently someone had suggested to another user they could read there pm's with out them knowing, although not impossible it was just to reassure users of the security of the forum.

So, once again, please confirm that the warning you posted about monitoring the forum is not applied to PM's, which means that any discussion in private (by PM) of cracked/hacked/stolen software/hardware will have no consequences from your side.

Also, would like to know what's happening to all those files that are being uploaded for PM's? Who's got access there?

I must admit that after your announcement about "everything monitored" I was avoiding using PM's and trying to find other more private ways of communication for more or less serious talk. I suppose I am not the only one who had similar ideas and I hope this topic was not created due to the sudden drop in private traffic...

CTW John
12-03-2006, 11:29 PM
we can't monitor everything and that would take someone all the time to do it, with pm's it's only if someone recieves a pm and tells us about it. The database could be reviewed if there was a legal issue I'm sure, but I don't ever see it happening, yes turborabbit we can all see all that Pon you put on the server, only kidding, I would imagine that the files are held on the server but I'm not sure how it would hold them, I do believe you have the option to delete files sent? With anything best secure I would always suggest email to be sure as also this will include a virus scan.

imported_admin
12-04-2006, 12:16 PM
So, once again, please confirm that the warning you posted about monitoring the forum is not applied to PM's, which means that any discussion in private (by PM) of cracked/hacked/stolen software/hardware will have no consequences from your side.

PMs are not monitored.